All Okinawa Bullfighting Summer Tournament attracts 2,500 spectators
August 11, 2014 Ryukyu Shimpo
On August 10, the All Okinawa Togyu (Bullfighting) Summer Tournament was held, sponsored jointly by the Okinawa Prefectural Bullfighting Federation and the RyukyuShimpo Co., at the Ishikawa Multipurpose Dome in Uruma City. About 20 young and veteran bulls gathered from Okinawa for the champion titles in the lightweight and middleweight divisions. About 2,500 people cheered for the bulls, which demonstrated their skills and techniques furiously in clouds of dust.
Tosho Hayate defended its sixth champion title successfully in the middleweight division weighing no more than 970 kilograms. Hayate defeated Yushinfujiwaka at the end of the tough fight, after they rammed horns fiercely for 18 minutes and 30 seconds.
Ryutenryuonimaru won the title of the lightweight division of 850 kilograms or less for the first time on its third try. The bull beat Daijyaoh, attacking the opponent’s belly using its horn.
(English translation by T&CT)
Previous Article:Awamori promoted for registration in the World’s Cultural Heritage list
Next Article:The Great Tug-of-War of Ginowan
- Tosho Hayate defends his twelfth champion title at All Okinawa Bullfighting Summer Tournament
- All-Okinawa Bullfighting Autumn Tournament attracts 4,500 spectators
- 100th All Okinawa Bullfighting Tournament
- Bullfighting – 4000 spectators watch the action at the All Okinawa Spring Tournament
- New Year bullfighting tournament held in Uruma City