New Year’s solemn ceremony at Shuri Castle
January 1, 2015 Ryukyu Shimpo
From January 1 to 3, a New Year’s ceremony was held at Shurijo Castle Park, Naha. The Chouhaiokishiki, or Imperial Court New Year’s morning ceremony, which used to take place at Shuri Castle on New Year’s Day during the Ryukyu Dynasty, was demonstrated. Many people watched the ceremony and the king and others wearing extravagant clothing.
Naoki Tada and his family visited Okinawa for the first time. He said, “Our image of Shuri Castle was only Shurei no mon or Shurei gate. But the ceremony was solemn and we felt the depth of the history.”
On January 3, the king and queen appeared in the forecourt and Ryukyu traditional dance and music was performed, and tea and amazake were served.
(English translation by T&CT, Hitomi Shinzato)
Previous Article:New York-based artist Yuken Teruya: Make Okinawan protest movement cultural heritage
Next Article:Beijing’s Ryukyuan burial sites under threat of development
- New Year’s ceremony held at Shuri Castle
- Shuri Castle Festival: Iraha elected for role of new King, Ikeda as queen.
- New Ryukyu king and queen selected at Shurijo Castle Park event
- New “king and queen” selected at Shurijo Castle Park event
- Photograph of Shuri Castle taken 130 years ago found in Yamagata