Nago City Assembly asks JCG to stop taking excessive actions against citizens
February 12, 2015 Ryukyu Shimpo
The Okinawa Defense Bureau is carrying out construction of a new base to replace Marine Corps Air Station Futenma in Henoko, Nago. Citizens protesting the construction, have continuously been injured by excessive force used by officers of the Japan Coast Guard (JCG). On February 12, a chairman of Nago City Assembly Minoru Yabiku and other assembly members visited the 11th Regional Coast Guard Headquarters. They asked the JCG to stop taking excessive actions against protesting citizens. The meeting was closed to the public.
Yabiku, deputy chairman of the assembly Zenko Nakamura, and Yoshitami Oshiro, a chairperson of Special Committee for Military Base Affairs in the assembly, denounced incidents in which coast guard officers injured citizens, using excessive force against them. They handed over a written opinion to the 11th Regional Coast Guard Headquarters to demand immediate cessation of landfill. According to Nakamura, Akira Namihira, a representative of the headquarters, said, “The coast guard officers take basic actions to remove the protesters by abiding by the law.” Yabiku said, “They superficially claimed the officers had dealt with the situation according to the law.”
Yabiku and the assembly member visited the Okinawa Prefectural Police and the Okinawa Defense Bureau to ask them to stop taking excessive action against protesting citizens.
(English translation by T&CT)
Previous Article:OPG estimates return of US Futenma base will bring 32 times the economic benefit
Next Article:US commander claims protesters against helipad construction being paid-off
- JCG refuses to answer why they are constraining protesters in Henoko
- Naha City Assembly adopts a resolution asking the Japanese government to stop taking excessive actions against Henoko protesters
- Japan Coast Guard responds with violence to residents opposing the construction of new US air base in Henoko
- Coast Guard officer takes excessive action against female citizen: Japanese government cites safety measurement
- Nago city council protests against excessive security by police and Japan Coast Guard