Ryukyu Golden Kings attracts 100,000 visitors a year for the first time in a professional basketball league in Japan
May 12, 2014 Ryukyu Shimpo
Okinawa’s national league basketball team Ryukyu Golden Kings attracted 101,054 visitors in the year ending May 11 – a national record. According to a spokesperson of the team, which is a star team in Japan’s professional basketball league or “bj league”, this is the first time that a professional basketball team has attracted over 100,000 visitors in one season in Japan. The team staff and players expressed their gratitude to fans for playing a part in their victories.
The Kings played 32 matches in Okinawa this season including preseason and play-offs.
The average number of the visitors was 3,157, topping the league.
The team ace player Anthony McHenry said Okinawan fans were irreplaceable, and that it was a provielge to be able to play on the team.
(English translation by T&CT)
Previous Article:Nago Mayor dismisses the idea of accelerating construction of the new U.S. military base in Henoko
Next Article:Orion Beer operating mega solar power plant
- Ryukyu Golden Kings win the national championship for the third time
- Kings loses close game at B-League opening match
- Possibility of holding an international tournament in Okinawa discussed at the East Asia Basketball Executive Meeting
- Doctor joins handball team to pursue his dream
- Nine baseball teams start spring training camps in Okinawa