Cheers for cute white lion cub at Okinawa Zoo
March 27, 2017 Ryukyu Shimpo
On March 26, at the Okinawa Zoo and Museum in Goya, Okinawa City, a welcome ceremony for a male white lion cub from the Tohoku Safari Park in Fukushima was held.
White lions are rare and can only be seen in eight zoos in the country. Many parents and children visited the zoo to see the cub.
When the cub appeared, the crowd cheered, saying, “Cute!” “It looks like a cat.”
The cub, only four months old, occasionally let out a little cry, and marched on a red carpet in a majestic manner, accompanied by Okinawa City Mayor Sachio Kuwae.
At the welcome ceremony, a lottery was held and the winners got to take part in a commemorative photo event with the white lion cub. The winners of the lottery enjoyed taking photos with the baby “King of Beasts”.
Nobushige Kumakubo, president of the Tohoku Safari Park, said, “We expect that this white lion will become an idol of Okinawa.”
Kumakubo handed a lead rope for the cub to the mayor.
The name of the cub will be decided by the public some time after April.
(English translation by T&CT)
Previous Article:Mao Ishiakwa Publishes Photobook in the United States
Next Article:72 years after the US military landed on Zamami Island, villagers honour victims of “Group self-determination” and vow never to repeat war
- Fukushima zoo’s elephants to move to Okinawa during winter
- Elephants return to Fukushima after spending winter in Okinawa
- Elephants from Fukushima spend winter in Okinawa where they can eat their favourite food, sugar cane
- Two elephants from Fukushima return to Okinawa Zoo and Museum
- Shuri Castle Festival: Iraha elected for role of new King, Ikeda as queen.