Impassioned call for repeal of security legislation bridges multiple generations
March 29, 2016 Ryukyu Shimpo
In the early afternoon on March 29, about 250 participants of a gathering organized by the Okinawa Peace Movement Center called Abolish the War-Fighting Law! Don’t Let the Abe Administration Go Out of Control! raised their voices in opposition to the security legislation executed that same day.They called for repeal of the security legislation, saying that they will not tolerate militarism. Participants were widely varied in age, from those who personally experienced the Battle of Okinawa to children accompanied by their parents.
Chairman of the Okinawa Peace Movement Center Hiroji Yamashiro gave a speech before those gathered, among others. He declared that the security legislation is unconstitutional and that the Center will not allow expansion of the bases. His declarations were met with enthusiastic applause and whistling.
(English translation by T&CT and Erin Jones)
Previous Article:Japan’s Self-Defense Force opens radar station in Yonaguni
Next Article:Sky lit by red moon, possible impact from air pollution
- 55 years after Okinawa reverted to Japanese sovereignty 2,500 people rally to block construction of new US base
- Unjust oppressions are unacceptable: more than 500 people march during an emergency rally
- Mass gathering demanding release of Yamashiro and detainees held before Naha District Court
- Long-term detainee Okinawa peace activist Yamashiro released on bail
- About 2,100 people take part in 5.15 peace rally despite the rain