Sea turtles raised from artificial hatching of eggs produced by mother that died in accident released
October 15, 2015 Ryukyu Shimpo
On the night of October 4, at a beach of Kijoka, Ogimi, the Okinawa Churashima Foundation’s Research Center released ten baby turtles. They were from artificially raised and hatched eggs, which were taken from a female green sea turtle that was run over by a car on National Highway 58 at Kijoka on the night of August 16.
According to the foundation, there is no example in the world of baby turtles being raised from the eggs of a mother turtle that died, and released to the sea.
About 50 people, families and animal experts, watched the baby turtles being released into the sea at the beach.
(English translation by T&CT)
Previous Article:Two typhoon experts at University of the Ryukyus collaborate
Next Article:Government panel members received 11 million yen from contractors to build new US base in Henoko
- Children from Fukushima and Okinawa release baby loggerhead turtles
- Sea turtle appears on the day Unjami festival honors the sea gods
- Passersby rescue stray loggerhead turtle on road
- Encouragement for 100 newly-hatched baby turtles to swim towards the sea
- GPS shows sea turtle drifted from Saipan to Kunigami