Taketomi Town to create “Iriomote Wild Cat Day”
September 19, 2015 Ryukyu Shimpo
Taketomi Town Office will mark ‘Iriomote Yamaneko no Hi’ (Iriomote Wild Cat Day) on April 15 of every year. This year was the 50th anniversary of the discovery of the Iriomote Wild Cat, a special national treasure. The wild cat can only be found on the island.
On September 17, the town assembly passed a bill to create ‘Iriomote Wild Cat Day”, as part of efforts to conserve and take care of the wild cat, starting on April 15 next year. Animal experts announced on April 15, 1965, that the cat was a newly found species. The bill stresses that the Irimote Wild Cat Day helps to raise awareness and express people’s determination to develop the community while coexisting with the Wild Cat.
(English translation by T&CT, Hitomi Shinzato)
Previous Article:Disaster Relief Act applied to Yonaguni, where damages of more than 100 million yen caused by Typhoon Dujuan
Next Article:Kanehide Group Chairman energizes Henoko protesters
- Symposium to mark 50th anniversary of discovery of Iriomote wild cat
- Oldest Iriomote wildcat dies aged 15 years one month
- An Iriomote wild cat released back into the wild after recovering from injuries in a car accident
- Collectable stamps of the Iriomote wild cat to help raise funds for its protection
- Events to mark the 50th anniversary of Iriomote cat’s discovery